Committee details - Planning Committee
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Committee details
Purpose of committee
This Committee exercises the Council’s functions in relation to development control (planning matters). There are 12 voting Members and 1 co-opted non-voting Member who sits on behalf of the Conservation Advisory Group (CAG). This Committee deals with the following areas of work:
· Determining (deciding) applications for planning permission, listed building consent and conservation area consent submitted under the Town and Country Planning Acts.
· Determining applications for the display of advertisements submitted under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations.
· Exercising any other function of the Council under the Planning Acts whether as a local planning authority or otherwise which may be referred to it by the Strategic Director of Place.
· Determining whether prior approval is required for applications for the construction, installation, alteration or replacement of telecommunications masts submitted under Part 24 Schedule 2 of the General Permitted Development Order 1995 and whether they should be granted or refused.
You can comment on schemes currently seeking planning permission through the planning register: https://planningregister.brighton-hove.gov.uk/
Public Speaking Rights at Planning Committee
Members of the public, applicants and ward Councillors may register to speak for or against any application that is heard by the Committee. Anyone who wishes to speak will need to contact Democratic Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for registering to speak is 5:30 pm, four working days before the meeting (the Friday before the meeting).
Objectors, applicants and ward Councillors are given three minutes each to speak.
Please note - No extra time is granted for multiple speakers. If there is more than one applicant or objector they will have to share the time allowed.
More information can be found in part 8.6 of the Council’s Constitution.
Clerk to the Planning Committee
Hove Town Hall
Tel: 01273 291064
Please note that if you have made a written representation about a planning application, you may not automatically be contacted regarding public speaking and will need to register your request with Democratic Services separately.
- Councillor Julie Cattell (Chair)
- Councillor Penny Gilbey (Deputy Chair)
- Councillor Carol Theobald (Opposition Spokesperson)
- Councillor Phelim Mac Cafferty (Group Spokesperson)
- Councillor Jayne Bennett
- Councillor Lynda Hyde
- Councillor Michael Inkpin-Leissner
- Councillor Leo Littman
- Councillor Joe Miller
- Councillor Clare Moonan
- Councillor Warren Morgan
- Councillor Jackie O'Quinn
- Jim Gowans Conservation Advisory Group
- Mr Roger Amerena
Support officer: Penny Jennings/ Tom McColgan. Democratic Services
Hove Town Hall
Phone: 01273 291065