Agenda item - BH2021/00617 - 57 Northease Drive, Hove - Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2021/00617 - 57 Northease Drive, Hove - Full Planning
1. The Planning Manager introduced the application to the committee.
2. Ward Councillor Barnett addressed the committee and stated that the property had formerly been a 3 bed house and was now a 6 bed house, with a rear extension which prohibits access to the rear garden. The councillor considered the development out of character for the area, an overdevelopment of the site, and unfair on the neighbours. The committee were requested to refuse the application.
3. The applicant’s agent listed to speak, did not attend the meeting.
4. Councillor Yates was informed that the red line on the presentation was incorrect and should only surround the application site and not the neighbouring dwelling.
5. Councillor Ebel was informed that the single bedroom proposed was slightly below minimum standards of 7m2 at 6.8m2.
6. Councillor Theobald was informed that the property had an existing single storey extension, a large rear garden and 41m2 communal space.
7. Councillor Ebel raised concerns regarding the size of the single bedroom, where it was considered that only a bed and no other furniture could be used in the room. The standards of living were considered too low as the room was considered cramped. The committee were asked to refuse the application.
8. Councillor Yates considered the single room to be a box room, however the rest of the development was good for residents. The councillor considered that all the rooms in the development should meet standards and they could not agree to bad quality accommodation. The councillor was against the development.
9. Councillor Theobald considered the application to be an overdevelopment of the site and the single room to be too small. The councillor was against the application.
10.Councillor Littman considered the development was nearly right, however, the single room was too small. The councillor was against the application.
11.A vote was taken, and committee voted by 0 to 7 against the officer recommendation. (Councillor Barnett was not present for the vote and took no part in the decision making process).
12.Councillor Ebel proposed that the application be refused as it did not meet minimum standards and the standards of accommodation proposed were unacceptable. The motion was seconded by Councillor Yates.
13.A recorded vote was taken, and committee voted by 7 to 0 to refuse the application. (Councillor Barnett was not present for the vote and took no part in the decision making process).
14.RESOLVED: That the application be REFUSED on the basis of not meeting minimum room standards.
- Header BH2021 00617 - 57 Northease Drive, item 46B PDF 22 KB View as HTML (46B/1) 3 KB
- Plan BH2021 00617 - 57 Northease Drive, item 46B PDF 342 KB
- Report BH2021 00617 - 57 Northease Drive, item 46B PDF 181 KB View as HTML (46B/3) 65 KB
- Cllr Barnett Rep BH2021 00617 - 57 Northease Drive, item 46B PDF 218 KB View as HTML (46B/4) 9 KB
- Item B BH2021-00617 Northease Drive 57, item 46B PDF 1 MB