Agenda item - IRP Report on Members Allowances
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
IRP Report on Members Allowances
Extract from the proceedings of the Policy & Resources Committee meeting held on the 1st July 2021, together with a report of the Executive Lead Officer for Strategy, Governance & Law and a report of the Independent Remuneration Panel.
24.1 Councillor Mac Cafferty introduced the report concerning the recent review of the Members Allowances Scheme by the Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP) and referred to the extract from the proceedings of the Policy & Resources Committee meeting held on the 1st July 2021. He noted that the IRP and full Council had previously taken into consideration the recommendations of the Fawcett Society and that the majority of Chairs of Committees were currently women. The current proposed changes to the Scheme took into account the job-sharing of roles that were currently being undertaken and if approved would extend the equality principles encouraged by the Fawcett Society. He noted that there was no additional cost to the Scheme and that the IRP had recommended the changes. He also noted that it was proposed to recognise the contribution made by the Standing Invitees and co-optees to committees and hoped that the payment of an allowance would be agreed. However, in relation to the provision of car parking for Councillors he noted that there were three amendments to be considered and hoped that the Green amendment would be approved.
24.2 Councillor Allcock moved and amendment on behalf of the Labour Group, which was seconded by Councillor Appich. He believed it was a sensible compromise and wished to record his thanks to the IRP for their work during the review.
24.3 Councillor Clare moved an amendment on behalf of the Green Group which was seconded by Councillor Shanks.
24.4 Councillor Simson moved an amendment on behalf of the Conservative Group which was seconded by Councillor Nemeth. She welcomed the recommendations of the IRP and noted that for those Councillors living on the outskirts of the city, it was not easy to travel by public services and that there was a need to be able to drive and park in order to attend meetings and then return home safely.
24.5 Councillor Shanks stated that there was a climate emergency which needed to be recognised and that there were alternatives to the car such a buses and taxis. She believed that Councillors should set an example and could not support the retention of parking spaces.
24.6 The Mayor noted that there were 3 amendments which would be taken in revers order and therefore put the Conservative amendment to the vote which was lost by 3 votes to 11.
24.7 The Mayor then put the Green amendment to the vote which was lost by 7 votes to 8.
24.8 The Mayor then put the Labour amendment to the vote which was carried by 8 votes to 3 with 3 abstentions.
24.9 The Mayor then put the recommendations as amended to the vote which were carried by 11 votes to 3 with 1 abstention.
(1) That recommendation 3.1 as set out in the IRP report relating to job sharing roles be agreed;
(2) That recommendation 3.3 as set out in the attached IRP report relating to an allowance for co-optees who attend committee in a personal capacity be agreed;
(3) That the Executive Lead Officer for Strategy, Governance & Law be granted delegated authority to update Council Procedure Rules to reflect the agreement in relation to the job sharing of roles as referred to in paragraph 3.2 of this report and to publish the revised Members Allowances Scheme; and
(4) That with regards to the provision of support for car parking for councillors, Council agrees to option 3 as outlined in paragraphs 5.10 and 5.11 in the Report by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Brighton & Hove City Council.
- Item 24 Extract from P&R 01.07.21 Members Allowances, item 24. PDF 280 KB View as HTML (24./1) 28 KB
- Report on Members Allowances - July 2021, item 24. PDF 126 KB View as HTML (24./2) 25 KB
- Report on Members Allowances - July 2021 APX. n 1, item 24. PDF 320 KB View as HTML (24./3) 69 KB
- Item 24 (01) LabGrp amend 15.7.21 - IRP Report on Members Allowances, item 24. PDF 95 KB View as HTML (24./4) 12 KB
- Item 24 (02) GrnGrp amend IRP item 24, item 24. PDF 262 KB View as HTML (24./5) 10 KB
- Item 24 (03) ConGrp amend IRP Report on Members Allowances Copy, item 24. PDF 264 KB View as HTML (24./6) 12 KB