Agenda item - Coast to Capital Update
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
Coast to Capital Update
- Meeting of Greater Brighton Economic Board, Tuesday, 14th July, 2020 10.00am (Item 6.)
- View the background to item 6.
Report of the Chair, Greater Brighton Officer Programme Board
1) That the Board acknowledges the importance of the shortlisted projects outlined in paragraph 3.4 and 3.5 and supports these projects going forwards.
2) That these new projects be added to the Greater Brighton Project Pipeline.
3) That the Board also agrees that the projects in Appendix 1 should also be added to the pipeline of Greater Brighton projects.
6.1 The Board considered a report of the Chair, Greater Brighton Officer Programme Board that set out ten projects shortlisted by the Department for Housing, Communities and Local Government (DCCLG) following a call from the Secretary of State for projects that could help LEPs to stimulate post-crisis economic recovery at a local level. The report detailed thirty further projects that had not been shortlisted but were proposed to be added to the Greater Brighton Investment Programme pipeline.
6.2 Councillor Platts asked if adaptations were required to the Local Industrial Strategy in order to better align it with current matters.
6.3 Jonathan Sharrock clarified that the LEP were working with Hatch to update their extensive data on the region to reflect the economic impact of the pandemic.
6.4 Councillor Walsh asked when it was likely that decisions on the projects submitted would be known.
6.5 Jonathan Sharrock replied that a definite date was not currently known but it was hoped a response would be received by the end of government recess.
6.6 Councillor Mac Cafferty stated that the pandemic and exposed a structural weakness in that the region may be over reliant on the expansion of Gatwick Airport and that it was perhaps time to reassess priorities and focus.
1. That the Board acknowledges the importance of the shortlisted projects outlined in paragraph 3.4 and 3.5 and supports these projects going forwards.
2. That these new projects be added to the Greater Brighton Project Pipeline.
3. That the Board also agrees that the projects in Appendix 1 should also be added to the pipeline of Greater Brighton projects.
- Greater Brighton Shortlisted Projects June 2020FINAL, item 6. PDF 231 KB
- Greater Brighton Additional Pipeline Projects, item 6. PDF 95 KB