Agenda item - BH2019/02619 - Avalon, West Street, Brighton - Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2019/02619 - Avalon, West Street, Brighton - Full Planning
Erection of additional storey to the North block to create 4 no residential units (C3), comprising 3no one-bedroom flats and 1 no 2 bedroom flat.
(1) The Senior Planning Officer, Sonia Gillam, introduced the scheme and gave a detailed presentation by reference to aerial views, plans, floor plans, elevational drawings and photographs showing the site from locations in the neighbouring street scene. The main considerations in determining the application related to the principle of the development, design and appearance and impact on the conservation area and nearby listed buildings, impact on neighbouring amenity and highway issues. Objections received relating to the impact on property values, rental income and inconvenience during the building works whilst noted were not material planning considerations.
(2) Notwithstanding the tight urban grain of the surrounding streets and the need to respect listed buildings or their setting it was considered that there was scope for providing an additional storey to the north wing of the existing building. It was not considered that the proposals would have a detrimental impact on the nearby listed buildings. The proposed additional storey would be flush with the existing frontage on the south elevation and the top floor of the existing north elevation was set in slightly from the lower floors and the development would also be similarly set back. Whilst the development would be partially visible from West Street through the gap to the open courtyard it was not considered that it would impact significantly on the street scene approach from the north and only to a limited degree in the approach from the south. The increase in height of the north wing over the south wing would also reflect the rising topography of the land as it slopes up from the sea. The Council's Heritage Officer was satisfied that there would be no harmful impact in views towards the site. The scheme was considered acceptable, also that it would preserve the character and appearance of the neighbouring conservation area. Approval was therefore recommended.
Questions of Officers
(3) Councillor Mac Cafferty cited the problems that had been experienced in the past in relation to upkeep and maintenance of privately rented accommodation asking regarding the type of tenure proposed in this instance. It was explained that information was not available
(4) Councillor Fishleigh whether it would be possible to include conditions which would prevent the units being let on short tenancies which could result in them being used as “party” houses. It was confirmed that would not be possible.
(5) Councillor Bagaeen expressed concern regarding the rendered finish proposed, as its appearance might sit at variance with that of the existing building. It was explained that it was understood that a grey finish was proposed which would blend with that of the existing host building.
(6) Councillor Theobald sought confirmation regarding the proposed set back to the upper floor of the north block and whether the resulting roof heights would be comparable with that of neighbouring buildings and it was confirmed that they would.
Debate and Decision Making Process
(7) A vote was taken and on a vote of 9 with 1 abstention planning permission was granted.
65.1 RESOLVED – That the Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation set out in the report and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the Conditions and Informatives set out in the report.
- Header BH2019 02619 - Avalon West Street, item 65A PDF 22 KB
- Plan BH2019 02619 - Avalon West Street, item 65A PDF 319 KB
- Report BH2019 02619 - Avalon West Street, item 65A PDF 85 KB
- Cllr Reps BH2019 02619 - Avalon West Street, item 65A PDF 37 KB