Agenda item - BH2018/02440,Foredown Woods,Foredown Allotments,Thornbush Crescent, Portslade - Full Planning
navigation and tools
You are here - Home : Council and Democracy : Councillors and Committees : Agenda item
BH2018/02440,Foredown Woods,Foredown Allotments,Thornbush Crescent, Portslade - Full Planning
Change of use from an area of land at Foredown Woods to an Education Facility (D1) to operate as a pre-school, with associated structures and operations (Part Retrospective).
RECOMMENDATION – GRANT
Ward Affected: North Portslade
1. Matthew Gest, Principal Planning Officer, introduced the application and gave a detailed presentation by reference to site plans, photographs and elevational drawings detailing the proposed scheme. The main considerations for this application relate to the principle of the change-of-use, the impact on the character and appearance of the site and local area, the effect on the amenities of residents and the highway implications.
2. Councillor Peter Atkinson presented a speech to the committee via the Democratic Services officer. The Councillor stated that they had been involved with the ‘Bee in the Woods’ and its director, Lucy Collins for some time. In 2017 the BHCC Parks Department granted a licence to Lucy to run a forest school. The site has been transformed. The Forest School and Forest Kindergarten have worked with community organisations and schools. The benefits have been many. Lucy has been mindful of residential neighbours by adjusting activities and establishing an ongoing dialogue. Councillor Atkinson has also acted as a facilitator.
Questions for the speaker
3. Councillor Daniel Yates was informed that a management plan was requested by condition. It was also noted that numbers were restricted to 16, also by condition.
4. Councillor Sue Shanks was informed operating a business on public land was not a planning consideration.
5. Councillor Daniel Yates considered the improvements to the land to be good. Pre-school education on sustainable land is much needed in the city. It was noted that the acoustics will need to be right to ensure there is little impact on the residential properties.
6. The Committee were invited to vote on the officer’s recommendation to GRANT planning permission.
Vote: All Agreed (Councillor Joe Miller not present).
RESOLVED: The Committee has taken into consideration and agrees with the reasons for the recommendation and resolves to GRANT planning permission subject to the conditions and informatives set out in the report.
- Header BH2018,02440 Foredown Woods Foredown Allotments, item 15G PDF 22 KB
- BH2018,02440 Foredown Woods Foredown Allotments, item 15G PDF 95 KB
- ReportBH2018,02440 Foredown Woods Foredown Allotments, item 15G PDF 79 KB
- Cllr Reps,BH2018,02440 Foredown Woods Foredown Allotments Cllr Reps, item 15G PDF 202 KB